It’s Summer. YAY. A perfect time to do the new!
But you don’t have to go somewhere exotic or jump out of an airplane.
I just had a week-long staycation full of tiny first-time experiences.
- I made Popsicles out of lime and cucumbers. Sounds weird but I swear they are delicious. My friend says they just need to be dipped in vodka.
- I tested a Peloton bike a friend raved about. Cool, but I still think I prefer live trainers yelling and torturing me. Guess I’m old school.
- We said yes to see the Iron Pigs play baseball in Allentown with friends with front row seats. Totally fun and they have a Bacon mascot that runs the bases. Seriously.
- My I Dare Me Damsels team went to the top of the Philadelphia art museum steps instead of the bottom steps for Reach and Raise/ Living Beyond Breast Cancer. A whole new view.
- I cleaned my car, my purse, my bathroom vanity drawers, my closet.
Anyone who knows me knows this is a first cleaning/decluttering miracle.
- I sat on at least 100 bar stools this week. Not in a bar. Nope, just trying to find a new bar stool that feels as good as the beat up bar stools I’m replacing in our kitchen. Exhausting! Not my favorite staycation activity.
- I enrolled in a class to start my thesis so I can finally finish my Masters in Journalism.
So, you say, what’s so great about all this?
These are such little things. Exactly.
It’s just about consciously making different choices. It’s just saying a spontaneous yes to drive to Allentown, to make the cucumber Popsicle instead of the normal chocolate. To go to the top instead of the bottom steps. To take new steps toward a goal.
That’s it. It’s all those little things, that add up to life evolved, invented and created every day.
If you are a little rusty trying new things, a staycation or vacation is a perfect time to remember how to be spontaneous, say yes and dare on.
It’s summer… I dare you. Do the New.
Join us over on Facebook to continue the conversation: Lu Ann Cahn