When I was at my worst “stuck” 9 years ago, a good friend pointed out that I had a very small “network”. I wasn’t a “joiner” or “connector”. I had a few close friends, but that was it. My circle was tight and insular.
She had to convince me to come with her to meet a group of professional women to “expand”.
I laugh now when I look back on it. I completely resisted this idea of joining a women’s group and made fun of the “Damsels in Success” name, snidely calling it “Damsels in Distress.”
But eventually, I went. And my life started to ripple out, becoming fuller and richer with new connections.
By the time I changed careers, I had a network of support that helped me make the transition.
I have to say, one of the great joys of my life is the connections I have now with so many women who are daring and interesting and adventurous and successful in their own right and in their own way.
I looked around a room of friends who helped me celebrate my birthday this year and saw:
- My friend who taught me to hula hoop.
- A friend who cheered me on to change jobs
- A friend who helped me chase down a con man.
- A friend who survived a road trip with me
- A friend who makes me stand on one leg and breathe
- A friend who taught me to shake it like J LO
- A friend who inspires me with her stories
- A friend who always shows me something new
- A friend who curates fun
- A friend who skates on ice (not thin ice)
- A friend who went to Italy and brought home a husband
- A friend who is in love
- A friend who has a voice like an angel
I have friends who dare to bring their magic to the world every day.
And I have the privilege to be in their lives.
Sometimes bring them all together.
This isn’t just my story.
This could be your story.
Say yes, to the next invitation to meet new people.
Yes to the luncheon, to the class, to the workshop, the volunteer thing.
Yes to the networking event.
Yes even though your head says no.
Yes, it is worth the effort, the discomfort, or any perceived risk.
This is how we create the life and career we want.
I’m so grateful to all my amazing friends today.
Let the magic and excitement of the season be even more incentive to go out and “Do the New”!
Join us over on Facebook to continue the conversation: Lu Ann Cahn