I’ve spent the last 10 years teaching people how to get their lives and careers unstuck by daring to Do the New.
It all started the last time this country was in a national crisis; a recession that hit right when technology was changing our lives, the internet, and social media. It was an avalanche of change. After a year of feeling incredibly stuck, I went on a journey doing something new every day for 365 days in a row.
Today, it’s a new crisis and for many of us this feels like a new kind of stuck. Stuck at home. Stuck because jobs and internships and classes and plans and celebrations and hair appointments and travel and every single thing you thought you would be doing is now on pause, or cancelled or moved to your home office.
But now, just like a decade ago, we all get to choose.
We get to CHOOSE what happens each hour, each day. We get to CHOOSE how we deal with chaos, homebound boredom, anger, disappointment and frustration.
I’m not saying it’s easy. It’s never easy when change is forced on you. But even when it’s forced on you, we can still each decide how we are going to live in this moment.
Do we stay feeling stuck or do we dare?
Dare? Good! Here are some ideas to help you through our new daily reality:
Create a New Structure/Framework/Plan for Your Day
- If you worked out every morning, but your gym is now closed, find an online workout class. I promise you will feel better. If you didn’t work out, Do the New!
Create this new habit. It will help relieve stress and you’ll sleep better.
- If you are working at home, plan out your breaks, lunches, walks, and quitting time.
Give yourself a new schedule to create a new normal.
Structure makes us feel a little more in control in the midst of chaos.
Make Sure You PLAY EVERY DAY
- Seriously! NO JOKE. This is a time when shared laughter and connection will save you. If you aren’t sleeping, turn off the TV, all your devices and create a family game night.
- Play virtual games on Zoom or Facetime or Skype where you can see each other’s faces. Play board games.
The most productive people in the world have great play lives. Find play. Create play any way you can right now.
Learn Something New
Our brains need to be engaged in positive new activities and learning will do the trick. It doesn’t matter what it is. Learn to:
- Bake a cake from scratch
- Do a Cha Cha
- A skill that would help you at work (Like 10 different ways to use Zoom)
Do Something for Someone Else
- Some folks are completely isolated right now. Help them out. Connect with them virtually.
- Check on your elderly neighbor. Leave a note in their mail. See if they need anything.
- Support the folks who are working on the front lines of this virus, health workers, first responders, those working in vital businesses, pharmacies, grocery stores, and gas stations.
Studies show when we give, that good feeling boomerangs back to us.
We will all have good days and bad days through this time. But I hope when you hit a low, you’ll remember that it’s your choice. Feeling stuck? Or, dare to own your day, dare to embrace the present even in this mess, dare to Do the New?
I hope you’ll dare.